Monday, July 27, 2009

Bump Watch - Week 27

Also known as the week that food lost it's position as my number one priority... falling to second place behind HOLY CRAP I NEED TO TAKE A NAP.

This week was also Pioneer Week in Ogden. Tons of events were planned throughout the week and I participated in pretty much ZERO of them because I had important things to do. Like sleep, eat and complain about the heat. That's right, Pioneer Week also happened to be the hottest week in Utah this year. Because if it wasn't, what would I have to complain about?

Like the vast majority of Utah, both Benny and I got the 24th off to celebrate the big State holiday. We started the day riding our bikes to Kaffe Merc for some scones and a coffee for Benny and then headed down to the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast. Because if there's anything I do well, it's put down two breakfasts. Benny, the champ, outdid me though... as he'd had breakfast BEFORE the scone and still took care of my leftovers.

Afterwards, Benny, KC and I met up with Kaylene and Gavin and picked a spot on the parade route to watch what would turn out to be a TWO. HOUR. PARADE. I'm sorry... I don't mean to complain (of course, I do) but had I known I was going to be sitting in a gutter for two hours, I maybe would have brought down a chair... or at the very least, a cushion to sit on.

This pregnancy stuff... I tell you, the uncomfortableness (if it's not a word, pretend that it is) I have all the time right now is NO JOKE. The last hour and 59 minutes of the parade were pretty much an exercise in futility as I tried to find a position that didn't make me want to cry or strangle a small child. Not because I'm in any pain or anything... it's just, well... have you ever gone for a ride on a camel?? Me neither. But I would imagine that being pregnant and trying to find any kind of comfortable position without the help of a cushion or, I dunno, someone rubbing my feet and feeding me chocolate while I sit on a bed full of feathers... is sorta comparable to riding a camel.

For 100 miles.

In the desert.

In August.

While being pecked to death by a rooster.

With rabies.

But, I digress...

Despite the lack of comfort in my chosen gutter along the side of the street in 90 degree weather, we had a good time. We even got to see the Budweiser Clydesdales as they pulled their cart up the street. Have you people SEEN the size of these horses? Finally, something to make me feel not so huge. I have since decided that all future pictures of me will be taken in front of or near a Clydesdale horse. It just seems like the right thing to do, seven months in.


27 Weeks!

In related news, it appears that my grand scheme of forgoing summer maternity clothes and simply wearing my skorts purchased at The Center of the Universe (Costco) has been derailed. Trust me when I tell you that the skort above is NOT supposed to be that short. And although Benny has lovingly tried to tell me that maybe it's time to suspend use of the skort for the summer, it takes a picture of me and the peice of fabric that used to be a knee-length skort, posing in front of a Budweiser Clydesdale for me to see the light.

And that light screamed: OMG! WHAT AM I WEARING? HOW DID I GO OUT IN PUBLIC LIKE THIS? MY EYES! MY EYES!!!!!
Ahem...

So, it appears the time has come for me to re-evaluate my closet. Sunday, I did just that and took all the non-pregnancy clothes (turns out, there's A LOT of them) and put them in storage... leaving just my maternity clothes so that I'm not tempted to sneak in an ill-advised skort for a quick jaunt to the market for ice cream and pickles.

So, besides the uncomfortableness and the realization that a whale in a skort simply CANNOT pull off sexy and cute anymore, what else?

Well, there's the extreme fatigue that I feel down to my bones. Sersly... I was never this tired in the first trimester. I cannot get over how every. single. second. of the day, all I can think about is how great a nappy-poo would feel right about now.

The best part about it is that Benny's feeling it, too. So it must have something to do with sympathy pregnancy pains and the heat. And I love him for it. In fact, when we were down at the parade, it was he that looked like he'd hit a brick wall and needed to take a nap. I felt that this was a bit of a victory on my part... him being the first to admit defeat and ask to go home. Even though I was just about to wave the white flag myself.

I've also had kind of a melancholy, emotional week... I don't know why. Or, rather, I do know why. But choose not to talk about it because it's SO INCREDIBLY STUPID. I will tell you that it's caused me a lot of anxiety... which upsets me because I know - even now, I KNOW - that pre-pregnancy, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I'm not an anxious individual. I don't do anxiety. I try to live by the motto of "Eh... don't worry about it!", said in my best Jersey voice.

But... I can't. It's like I've latched on to this idea in my head and no matter what I say or do... I can't let go. Finally, tonight, I talked with Benny about it. And he, too, felt that it wasn't something to worry about. That made me feel a little better. I suppose I'm just going to have to tell myself to GET OVER IT ALREADY, NADOLSKI.

Think that'll work?

It has to. It cannot be good for Tweet all this anxiety I'm feeling. Last thing I need is a kid who's anxious. As I said, I don't do anxious. I only do shiny, happy things. Like ice cream. With a shiny spoon in it.

And... that's where you'll find me tonight! At least it's not pickles, right?

2 comments:

Captain Cactus said...

I have ridden a camel. Lots of fun! You're right on though - not too comfortable.

Melissa said...

It looks like the horse is eating your belly. HAHA

I'm still trying to figure out how you still ride your bike. I admire you woman cause there is no way I'd be riding my bike super pregnant.

Love your updates and pics. I wish I would have taken pics like this with my kids. Very special.