Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day of Rest

Saturday morning, I was scheduled to volunteer up at the X-Terra US National Championships at Snowbasin at 6 a.m.. Which I suppose explains why I was wide awake at 2 a.m.? I mean, who have I become? A 2 a.m. wake up is unacceptable behavior, and quite frankly, I'm appalled.

By 3:45 a.m., I had fixed myself two pancakes, updated my Facebook status, checked, watched NCIS online and fed the cat who may have died of starvation had I not been there. I mean, it had literally been five hours since her last feeding... think of what could have happened!!!

The only thing missing was me actually getting dressed for the day. Which, let's face it... at 8 months pregnant, the longer I can lounge in my bathrobe on any given day, the happier I am. And the happier I am, the happier Benny is. It's just the way things work around here.

Benny finally got up at 5-ish, and we headed up to Pineview and the T1 area so I could check-in and Benny could get his bike set-up. Thus began a long, long, LONG day for me. One that pre-pregnancy - or even 6 months pregnant - would not have been a problem. Even with the waking up at 2 a.m.. But now? By the time we finally got home that afternoon, I was Stick-A-Fork-In-Me DONE.

I got about an hour of blessed sleep when we got home before Benny had to wake me up because the internet wasn't working and he'd invited some friends over to watch a Big Sky football game online. And it just might be the end of the world if they can't watch the game, babe! Someday, I'm gonna show him my secret trick of getting the internet to work... but it just feels so damn good to be needed, you know?

By the time our friends left that afternoon, I was toast... but we had to get ready for the Harvest Moon celebration downtown. Because someone had promised me ice cream. And, of course... when we got there, the ice cream shop was closed for the night and someone then had to promise me ice cream AND pudding the next night to prevent a nervous breakdown.

We only stayed downtown for an hour or so before I had to pull the Pregnant Card and make Benny leave the party early. Oh, and sidenote: I NEVER thought I would be that woman. But, seriously... pregnancy is NO JOKE. I can't remember the last time I felt well-rested. I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. And I know... I KNOW... that this is just the beginning. That I'll never sleep through the night again. That I'll never have that fully-rested feeling that I had during the first six years of marriage... and during college when I could sleep until noon. Flash forward to Saturday, and I'm the woman who makes her husband leave the party early because she's too tired to stay. It's such an unbelievable bummer, I don't think that unless you've lived through it and, I dunno, perhaps judged pregnant women who pulled this while you were blissfully un-fertilized with no responsibilities and didn't require a 2 hour nap every afternoon, YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET IT

The next day, Dr. Benny prescribed bed rest for me all day, while he set to work building a cat house for Nytro (which he did without one complaint, btw... how I lurve that man), an end table for the rocking chair in the baby room and a table for the printer to sit on in the office. All while I sat downstairs, watching NFL games while dozing in and out of conciousness. Is it just me, or does Frank Gifford have the kind of voice that can soothe even a rabid hippo (that would be me) into a deep slumber. Something his wife, Kathy, has NEVER been able to accomplish.

At the end of the day, I would say that I definitely got the better deal out of the whole Day of Rest. I didn't have to do a thing and when I woke up, had three new pieces of furniture! It's like I have my very own Pregnancy Fairy! That wears Carharts and safety glasses. And a dead sexy beard.


Flatman said...

First! Glad you got a good football nap in... :)

Trent and Amber Whiting said...

can I tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog! It seriously brings back the most vivid memories of being prego, and you describe them so well! Were you an English major??? KEep them coming!