Tuesday, May 17, 2011

... It'll Be A Short Drive

Dear Girls,
This weekend was my birthday.  Your dear old Mommy turned a whopping 34-years-old.  ANCIENT.  But, with the help of a little dye, my hair looks like that of a 20-something, even if the laugh lines around my eyes don't. So I've got that going for me.

Your grandparents came down to visit and got to spend some quality babysitting time with you while Daddy and I went on a hike to Waterfall Canyon.  The last time I made that trip was when I was 6 months pregnant with Hazel... and thinking about that now blows my mind!  We can't wait to take the two of you up there!  It's going to require a lot of patience on our part and a lot of energy on your part.  But I see families with 5 or 6 kids making that trip and even the littlest ones seem to be a having a good time, so I believe our visit will be sooner rather than later.

It was a great weekend.  I woke up to find these that Hazel and Daddy had picked.

 

Millie... well, the only thing you can pick right now is your binkie out of your mouth (yea.... you're GOOD), but the flowers were from both of you.  Right out of my garden!

Sunday morning, we decided to make a trip to the doctor's office.  Hazel had been coughing on and off for a couple of weeks and Millie had started to cough a couple of days prior.  So, just to be on the safe side (and live up to my "THAT mother" status at the clinic) we took you both in.  The doc thought Hazel had allergies, but I had my suspicions.  So, she gave us some Claritin as well as a prescription for an antibiotic and told us to only fill it if the Claritin didn't work.  I was fully prepared to fill that prescription and say "Screw the allergy theory!", and was shocked to discover that the Claritin?  It worked.  And our little ray of sunshine... who has, for the past week or so been a holy living terror and super whiny?

 

She's baaaccckkkkkk!  

Allergies, huh?  WHO KNEW?  This is just a not-so-gentle reminder to us that when Hazel is  whiny and needy and OMG WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP WITH THE CRYING OVER EVERYTHING?... well, that just means that there's something going on with her.  Sick.  Allergies.  Something.

She's not being evil just to be evil.  Or "two-ish" as the pediatrician put it.

She's not being evil just to be evil.  This will be my mantra. 

I may have to put it up as a wall decal somewhere in the house.   

Millie, on the other hand... well, she has bronchiolitis.  Or RSV.  We're not sure.  But since the treatment is the same for both, we didn't bother with the test.  Doing some reading on bronchiolitis... well, let's just say it's a huge bummer.  It's defined as the swelling and mucus buildup in the smallest air passages in the lungs (bronchioles), usually due to a viral infection.  AWESOME.  Millie had breathing issues when she was born, so I wonder if she is particularly susceptible to it.  I'm hoping that we've reached the peak of her coughing.

 

She's been awfully needy lately... anxiety, I suppose.  She has even fallen asleep on both myself and Benny several times in the last few days. I mean, Millie doesn't ever want to snuggle and right now, I'm not really allowed to put her down without her crying.  Oh, also... SOMEONE HAS FOUND HER LUNGS.  Holy Mother of All That Used To Be Holy In This House.... she's going to give Hazel a run for her money. She could give Steven Tyler a run for his money.  As a matter of fact, I challenge Steven Tyler to come visit us and we'll compare.  And, hey... if that means that I get to act on my Laminated List of Celebs I Get To Make Out With?  SO. BE. IT.

Anyway, this also means that the nights are tough.  When she wakes up, we have to suction out her nose, which totally wakes her up.  We also have to give her breathing treatments... the same ones we gave Hazel when she was four months old and had RSV.  I'm telling you, though... Millie is WAY stronger than Hazel was at this age. And, if possible... more tenacious.  She fights the breathing treatments like NOBODY'S BUSINESS.  We can't trick her into it like we could with Hazel... which was by standing inches away from the TV and hoping that the big pretty lights would distract her.  They don't.

And when she feeds.... well, let's just say that I had already forgotten how sore nipples get when a baby is sick, because they feed like EVERY HOUR.  On top of that, it's like she's trying to find whatever comfort she can by clamping down on my poor, unsuspecting nipples.  Luckily, Benny has been able to spell me during one of the night shifts and will rock with her for a bit after I feed her so I can get some rest. Guess we get to re-do the sleep training after she feels better. 


Poor Millie.  The one saving grace during this whole experience is that the Claritin has helped Hazel and when she comes home at night and when she makes up in the morning, she's not demanding.  She waits patiently for me to finish feeding Millie or cooking breakfast or dinner or whatever.  She even plays by herself without whining or throwing a fit.  In short, she's my lifesaver.  Millie was my lifesaver when Hazel was acting up... THANK GOD THE TWO OF THEM DON'T WORK TOGETHER TO DRIVE ME BONKERS YET.

Love,
Mama

No comments: