Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Birthday Post - A Month Late

Dear Hazel,
You'll have to forgive me, as this post is late. Really late. Not as late as the post that I was supposed to write about our trip to San Diego in June... and is still unwritten... but late just the same.

In my defense, since your birthday we've had Halloweeen (yet another post I haven't written!), and both your Daddy and I have suffered through back-to-back sinus infections.

And you... well, you had 3 weeks of waking up covered in diarrhea 2-3 times a night.

And severe diaper rash.

All while teething 3 of your 4 molars.

By the way, all of Mommy and Daddy's friends who didn't tell us how miserable a teething child could be and how our quality of life would suffer until those stupid molars poked through... well, they've got some explaining to do.

*Ahem*

So, a post about the awesomeness that was your Big Day kind of got pushed to the bottom of our priority list. But, things have returned to normal, well the "new normal" of having a toddler running the house.

But, more on that in a later post. For now, let's talk about your First Birthday!!!

We invited some close friends to come celebrate your big day and it was a huge success! We are so glad that we had set up the basement as the "kid" room and that's where you spent most of the day. You were the Belle of the Ball and since you were also the youngest in attendance, all of the other kids doted on you by pushing you around your little train and feeding you chips. And when they weren't doing that, they were busy jumping in the Jump-O-Lene that Daddy had blown up - singlehandedly! - for the occasion.


I have to admit, leading up to the Big Day, I was kind of worried that no one would come. Not that there was anything that led me to believe people wouldn't come. But, you know... I'd never been to a First Birthday party, so I didn't know if people would actually come or if they would think it was a stupid idea. Hazel... EVERYONE that we invited showed up. EVERYONE. We couldn't believe it! Pretty soon we had over 20 people upstairs and who knows how many kids downstairs??? All I know is that I'm pretty sure that our house exceeded its maximum occupancy under the Fire Code.

You opened up presents and had help from Sydney, Sarah, Gavin and Cressie.


You were a big fan of the new rocking chair that Mommy and Daddy got you. I searched the city high and low for the perfect chair... one that was timeless and could stand up to the wear and tear you are bound to bestow upon it. I knew there had to be one out there that met those criteria. My parents still have a rocking chair that all three of us kids used. I finally found one at a consignment shop. From the 1890's. And I gotta think, if it's survived intact for over 100 years? We can get a few more years out of it.

And the verdict?

You spent the entire present opening time on that chair. So I think you like it.

Grandma and Grandpa Paskins got you a homemade Raggedy Ann doll. It's all yours, Hazel. And no one else in the world has that doll. I'm hoping that when you're old enough to appreciate it, you'll actually.... you know, appreciate it. Because the only time you pay attention to that doll right now is if she happens to be sitting in your chair. And this is an unacceptable event in your world.

You definitely cleaned up at your birthday, baby girl. You got a teapot and tea set, building blocks, a puzzle, birdhouses and books!! LOTS AND LOTS OF BOOKS! And seriously, thank goodness for new books because you were so. over. your little collection of books. The new additions saved Mommy and Daddy's bacon and bought us at least a couple more months before we have to go find new books for you to ooo and awwwww at.

After the debauchery of the present opening, it was time for your birthday cake. Our friends from the coffee shop recommended someone to make the cake for us, and it was totally worth it. And if Mommy had been thinking straight, she would have taken a picture of the cake when it was dropped off, instead of waiting to take a picture while dozens of hungry children were surrounding her waiting to dive into the cake. (And eating one of the eyes when Mommy wasn't looking.)


Your cake was in the shape of a kitty-cat... your favorite animal. Up until two weeks ago when you discovered monkeys. Anyway, the kitty-cat was all yours. And you elected to play with it and throw frosting everywhere.... until Daddy put a piece of cake in your mouth.

OH. MY. It was GAME ON from that moment on. You're definitely my child when it comes to your sweet tooth.



While we didn't get a still picture of you actually eating the cake, we do have a pic of the end result.

Everyone else partook of the bigger version of your cake as you stumbled around the house, drunk on fatigue (yep... guess who skipped her nap on her birthday?), sugar and the kid-mania that had infested our house for a few hours. You were such a trooper, Hazel. You stayed up all the way until 7:30!!! After which Mommy and Daddy cleaned up the house, and then sat on the sofa mumbling incoherently. What a day!!!

I have to admit, a year ago I didn't know how we were going to make it through the day, much less a whole year. I wasn't sure I could do it. But now? You are just the most amazing little girl. You have such a sweet spirit and when you're not teething, you're full of giggles and delighted screams.

Thank you for joining our family. Thank you for causing my heart to burst out of my chest every time I see you. Thank you for making me actually want to have another one! You're going to be a great big sister and I can't wait for our family to become whole.


Again.

Love,
Mama

No comments: