Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One Month Update

Dear Millie,
One month old.  Holy balls.  That's right.  Balls. That may just be the fastest month in the history of maternity leaves.  There were so many things I planned to do the first month of my leave... and since you've been such an angel, I was pretty sure I would accomplish my goals.  Instead... well, let's just say that you and I are getting A LOT of rest.  Which means that Mommy is still in her PJ's at 2 p.m. because the only place you will sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time, is directly on top of me.  Luckily, I am okay with this because when you're sleeping that means you're NOT throwing up on me.  And, I appear to have scheduled maternity leave during several Law & Order SVU marathons.  So, you know... I've got that going for me.

We have thus far continued to avoid the "Purple Crying" that we experienced with your sister.  In fact, the only time you get even remotely fussy is when you have to push a poopy, or you need to burp.  And when you burp, let me tell you... you make Daddy proud.  We're talking adult-sized burps.  And then you immediately relax and fall asleep.  This is, of course, after you've thrown up all over Mommy.  Which you usually do twice a day.  Once in the morning and once at night. 

Ah, sleep... you're a big fan.  Which in turn makes me a big fan of you. But if we could only get you to sleep by yourself.  In your crib.  For more than 15 minutes at a time.  We've decided that it's time for you to move into your own room, so that Daddy could move back into our bedroom.  He's a light sleeper so having you in the room for the first month was pretty rough on him... and
 he moved downstairs.  But, we think you're ready for the nursery.  However, the first couple of nights haven't gone that great.

The last couple of weeks, I've noticed that you've got a case of the Jimmy Arms.  You can be perfectly sound asleep when all of the sudden, your arms jerk up, freak you out and wake you up.  In a word, it SUCKS.  Because then Mommy has to put down whatever she's doing (or, you know.... wake up) and calm you back down.  However, I've started wrapping you up and that seems to have helped the Jimmy Arms somewhat.  

You've also started a bit of fussiness.  It's nothing to write home about... I only mention it lest you think that you NEVER cried.  But I think that for the most part, you cry because your gut hurts from a gas bubble or you're trying to push a poopy.  Once one of those happens, you usually calm down.  You also calm down if I let you fall asleep on me.  That seems to be the go-to move right now. 

You also like to look at the flower stickers on the wall of the changing table while we work on your diaper.  I've even caught you smiling at them a couple of times. 

You are so aware of the world around you, and it doesn't seem to upset you at all.  You are all about eye contact and you and I spend hours looking at each other.  What you don't like to do is be rocked down by me holding you on my shoulder... I think this is because you can't look at me and that bothers you. 

I worry that because you're so chill and easy, we aren't as determined to get you into a routine and get you sleeping better as we were with your sister.  It once again amazes me how different the two of you are already... and how that means we have to parent you different.  And how that means I'm constantly asking myself if I'm doing it right because while we had NO clue what we were doing with Hazel, whatever we did actually ended up working.  So, is doing things differently with you going to screw things up?  Who knows??

Just know that we love you and we promise to always try to do what's best for you.

Love,
Mama

No comments: